HEART RATE VARIABILITY BIOFEEDBACK FOR POST-CONCUSSION SYNDROME WORKSHOP RECORDING
Presenter: Leah Lagos, PsyD, BCB
APA Continuing Education (CE) Credits granted: 4
Originally presented at the Biofeedback Society of Florida 2016 conference, this one-day workshop recording is for health professionals and researchers who want to learn a theoretical rationale and clinical protocol for implementing Heart Rate Variability (HRV) Biofeedback (BFB) as a treatment for Post-Concussion Syndrome (PCS) focusing on elite performers. The hands on, guided tutorial, will teach clinically useful skills for restoring autonomic imbalance, reducing PCS symptoms, and engaging the bodyís natural healing processes for recovery from concussion. Case examples, based on over a decade of Dr. Lagosí clinical and research experiences, are included. Specialized issues such as treating patients who present with co-morbid symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder and PCS are addressed.
All views expressed in the recording are solely those of the presenters and participants.
- Explain the relationship between Heart Rate Variability (HRV) and Post Concussion Syndrome
- Describe the current science and rationale for applying HRV Biofeedback (BFB) to PCS patients
- Identify the features of a ten session protocol for PCS including equipment, homework, and an overview of training
- Learn a combination of biofeedback and cognitive behavioral skills to help PCS patients reduce somatic symptoms
- Describe the general trajectory of improvement if patient participants in ten consecutive weekly sessions and complies with two, twenty-minute, at home daily breathing practices
- Identify two forms of assessments for evaluating patientís health at onset of training as well as measuring progress after training
- Describe how to measure patient progress throughout HRV BFB training
- Identify and utilize adjunctive techniques for treating trauma related to PCS
- Discuss the needs for the integration of HRV BFB and NFB for cases that involve attention and memory challenges
This recording is divided into four 1-hour segments. Upon purchase you will receive instructions to view or download/save the video.
In order to receive your continuing education credits, you must complete an exam with a pass rate of 75%. Exam questions are based on the video recordings and the PowerPoint presentation.